In this three-year study, English Language Learners (ELL) students from Berrien Springs Schools in Michigan who spoke 22 different languages received GrapeSEED in Grades K, 1, and 2. In Spring 2014, students were tested using the World-Class Instructional Design and Assessment (WIDA) tests.
- In kindergarten, over 70% of the students in the class reached listening proficiency.
- By second grade, the number of students performing at higher levels and reaching listening proficiency was more than 80%.
Figure 1: Full Sample Percent Reaching Proficiency Level in Listening by Grade Level
- In kindergarten, the largest number of students performed at midlevel.
- Over one-quarter of the students performed at the higher, Bridging level.
- More than one-third of the first and second grade students reached proficiency!
Figure 2: Full Sample Percent Reaching Proficiency Level in Speaking by Grade Level
- In kindergarten, most of the children were still at the lower levels of reading proficiency as expected.
- However, by second grade, 75% of the students reached reading proficiency, in half the time of the national average!
Figure 3: Full Sample Percent Reaching Proficiency Level in Reading by Grade Level
Reading in Half the time of the National Average
- National research shows that ELL children typically take 6–8 years to reach grade level proficiency. GrapeSEED students, however, reached proficiency in reading in just 2–3 years.
Figure 4: Full Sample Percent Reaching Proficiency Level in Reading by Grade 2
- In kindergarten, over 40% of the students reached oral language proficiency, with 80% of the students placing in between the mid and higher levels
- The majority of the first and second grade students scored high in oral language.
- By second grade, 100% of the students were at the developing or higher levels.
Figure 5: Full Sample Percent Reaching Proficiency Level in Oral Language by Grade Level
English Learning Research Results and Findings
Download the comprehensive research report to learn more about the assessments, student samples, results, and the positive impact GrapeSEED is having on these young English learners.